Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pure Pwnage


Tonight I went downtown to the Bloor Cinema to see the first three episodes of "Pure Pwnage" that recently debuted on Showcase. The cast of the TV show was also there tonight.

While we were waiting in line, Robin and D'Arcy were "trolling", or purposefully provoking people to make them angry, about nerdy gaming references. Instead of pronouncing "pwn" as "own", they placed explicit emphasis on the "p". They also made references to old video games and the like.

There was this teenage guy in front of us, standing alone, who eventually got pissed off and said, "You guys are f-----" and left the line. He never came back.

I was a little iffy when D'Arcy texted me earlier this afternoon asking if I wanted to go because I had never seen the show. Then he reassured me that we were watching the first two episodes and also watching the third one, which is unreleased.

I'm so glad I went.

The main characters are as follows:

Jeremy: also known as "teh pwnerer" who owns "n00bs"
Kyle: Jeremy's younger brother who documents Jeremy's life with his video camera
FPS Doug: Jeremy's best friend
October: hot girl who plays WoW and works at a cyber cafe called "The Mouse and Pad"
Terrance: a friend of Jeremy's

I love FPS Doug. He gets his nickname from his obsession in playing first person shooters and gets bones from playing them. He also has this extreme amount of energy that he's always unleashing his fueled by his parent's unstable relationship.

Not only did we get to watch the third episode, but they also showed us the fourth one! In this episode, Jeremy, October, Tyrone, and Doug formed a band for a game similar to RockBand and Guitar Hero. They episode was laid out like a documentary on a real band; showing the beginnings, middle, and falling out.

Most of the games referenced in other episodes I don't understand since I don't play them, so I felt more of a connection towards this episode. I totally saw the band Bunny, Colin, Tyler, and I made last year for a RockBand competition in this episode. It made me laugh.

The cast was signing autographs at the end of the show, but we left because we had to TTC it back to Etobicoke.

And guess who was standing on the subway platform while we were waiting for the train to come? None other than the kid who D'Arcy and Robin pissed off when we were waiting to get into the Cinema. We purposefully boarded the same cart as him and spent the majority of the ride with him.

I had an awesome night and I'm glad I pushed my doubts aside and tagged along with them becauce I rarely ever spend time outside of Etobicoke...except when I go home.

I can't wait for the new episodes!


No comments:

Post a Comment