Monday, August 24, 2009

Photo Story Day 1: Weathered Tombstones

Today was a great start to my attempt at completing a photo story about Port Colborne. I am happy with today's photographs which has motivated me to continue! Also, my mom generously loaned me the car for the day as the weather was looking temperamental. I'm the WORST for making decisions, but today the weather beat me. One minute grey clouds would cover the sun and then they would soon be replaced by fluffy, white clouds and blue skies. However, I am thankful that no rained poured as that would have been a downer. 

I decided that Hopkin's Tomb and the cemetery would be the first stop because it takes around 15 minutes to get there (from my house) by car. In other words, it's far. I also hate driving down Lakeshore Road, which is nothing but curves and narrow lanes, so I wanted to get it over with. 

As you drive around the bend, it is not hard to miss Hopkin's Tomb because it is sectioned off from the other tombstones. Climbing up the few stairs, you open the black, detailed gate and follow the 10 foot path up to the front of the tomb. A two foot wall marks the perimeter, making you and the tomb the only things present in the entire vicinity. 
Read this site to learn about Samuel Hopkins and his cursed tomb :

I don't usually take to cemeteries, but for some reason this one appe
aled to me today. Behind Hopkin's Tomb were tombstones so old and worn that the inscriptions were no longer visible. They appeared as white slabs of stone covered with black spots and limestone. Some were broken in half while others stood crooked. As I knelt in front of each one, I couldn't help but imagine the rotted corpse punching its hand through the dirt. 

I gained some respect for those old tombstones today. Even though they appear as blank slates, there are still centuries of history incorporated in them. They have withheld Mother Nature's powers, especially the Blizzard of '77, and have remained untouched as new tombstones have surrounded them. 

I also saw something new today. Never have I seen one of the lakers emerge from the canal and make it's way into Lake Erie. I normally watch the ships pass through the canal from one of the three bridges, not from a spot so far off from the main inland. It was quite amazing to see something so common in Port Colborne from a different perspective. I guess that's what they call good timing. 

I was parked by Surfside Sandy's, a restaurant along the lake, hoping to score some nice shots of the Marina and the Maple Leaf Mill from a distance. It was when I was walking down the path, away from the car, did I notice the laker coming out of the canal. I was able to see the waves crafted by the ship from where I was standing. For the first time I noticed how much lower the stern is in comparison to the rest of the ship. It made me realize that there are some things never seen when you are standing so near to something.

Today I shot my photographs with my Nikon D300 and my 35mm Holga camera that my cousin RenĂ©e bought me for my birthday. It was the first time I have used the Holga and I became quite involved in it. I was able to upload my digital files onto my laptop once I got home, but I have to wait until Friday to see my film results. I will be kept in extreme suspense until then! 

Yours truly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment