Friday, August 28, 2009

Day 5: The Otherside

Today has been rather chilly and I honestly hate having the windows closed during the summer. All day it's been a constant battle of deciding whether to keep them open or closed; one second it gets too hot and the next it's too cold. I don't think I'm going to win this one...

I wasn't alone in today's Port Colborne photography adventures as a friend tagged along with me. We met up at the market in hopes of finding some decent pictures. I don't know if it was the weather, which was rather gloomy, but we found nothing awe inspiring. Although there was a man playing a very fine beat on his keyboard at one of the corners. He seemed to be enjoying himself and certainly wasn't camera shy when we pointed our cameras his way. I haven't given up hope for the market just yet and plan on trying it again next week to test my luck.


It was a little early to call it quits, as it was probably around 11:30 am, so we decided to be brave and go across the bridge to the East Side. It's fair to say that every town or city has their weakest spot that nobody really likes to call attention to... Port Colborne has Lidsville. Run down buildings, tiny houses with chipped paint and failed porches, a bar called the Queen's, and a nickel plant fill up this hidden treasure of Port Colborne.

It's been a while since I've walked around Lidsville and this time we made some interesting finds. For starters, a woman held a yard sale in her backyard which had furniture, VHS movies, and numerous amounts of safety glasses that looked like they expired in 1977. W
e also walked up close to a building that belonged to Inco. Any word that I use cannot describe how tall and intimidating it was. Even the pictures don't do it justice. It seemed that you could touch the sky if you were to stand on top of this building. Nevertheless, it's height and is something that needs to be experienced in person.

Before we experienced the great, menacing wall, we found this.


I am completely infatuated with this house. And the fact that Inco is around the corner makes it that much more appealing. I'm not even sure what the inside would begin to look like, but the outside alone is interesting enough. The combination of the worn down house and the white picket fence makes a statement far from the projected all American dream.

The white picket fence is normally associated with the middle to class and is a sign of prosperity and accomplishment in achieving the ideal life. When the fence is paired with this house, instead of a suburban dream home, it catches our eye because it is not an image usually seen. Although a different structure, it carries similar means as any other house with a picket fence. It may not be an ideal home, in the eyes of society, but it could be the world to this family. Whether they choose to live like this or not, the white fence shows a sense of establishment and hope. It shows how anyone is able to display their own a white picket fence and chase their own dreams, regardless of status.

Anyways, here's another depressing picture. No one wants to play baseball beside a nickel plant.


I'm sad to say that I didn't see as many shoes hanging over the power lines as I used to a couple years ago. Maybe bullies have eased up on throwing kids shoes up there or maybe there aren't as many drug deals going on in these neighbourhoods.

I also found out that my Holga prints will not be in until tomorrow. I have been nervously been waiting all week for them and am excited to see what the end results will look like.

But on a side note I managed to finish cleaning my entire room today. That includes vacuuming, dusting, washing, and rearranging. Now all I have to do is motivate myself to begin packing for school.

Yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment