Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Baking: Day 1

If there's one thing I'm always down for, it's baking. I'll bake when I'm bored, to procrastinate, and especially if there's a special occasion in the air. Although it's one of my favourite pastimes, I rarely eat the things I bake. Maybe it's because I know how much time and effort it takes to bake that it just seems unappealing to me when the final batch comes out of the oven. Watching people eat my baked goods is satisfaction enough for me! 

Not only does Christmas mean a break from school, hangouts with friends and family, but it also means baking! A few years ago, my grandma started me with a list of cookies that she wanted me to bake for the holidays and I've just kept the tradition going since then. 

This morning I decided to tackle a cookie called 'Fruit Jumbles' because they take the most time to make since most of the ingredients need to be chopped up. After 45 minutes, I finally had all the dates, walnuts, mixed peel, maraschino cherries, and raisins cut up so that they could be mixed with the other dry ingredients. 

However, there was one thing standing in my way from having a successful day of baking... 

While I was waiting for my first batch of cookies to bake, I decided to clean up my dishes and put away all the ingredients. When I was wrapping up the leftover bits of dates, a white larvae (GROSS) fell onto the counter and started squirming around. I must have screamed pretty loud as my brother got out of bed to ask what was wrong. We both looked at the larvae in silence and disgust. I threw out the batter and the cookies that were in the oven. A wonderful start to the day. 

I wanted some kind of evidence to show that I did something today and I wasn't going to let a mangy parasite burst my bubble. So I made 'Funeral Cookies' instead. 

Stay tuned for more baking updates. 



Yours truly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment